Where was I? Oh yes, moving on to IVF #2. We went for our post-IVF consult with Dr. Jan and he recommended that we basically do the same thing, just start with the higher dose of drugs I ultimately ended up on. So, with my next period, in I went to get started. Well, it seems the cyst aspiration I had prior to IVF #1 was just a temporary fix, as I had another cyst. Dr. Jan recommended that once I started my period, we aspirate the cyst and proceed to IVF. However, my period didn't want to cooperate and took a little hiatus. And then, when she did arrive, the timing of our cycle conflicted with a ski trip we had planned to Whistler. We considered backing out, but Dr. Jan suggested we go, have fun, and start the following month. As he said, you aren't going to be able to ski for awhile, so you may as well now.
We ended up aspirating the cyst with my next period and starting IVF #2 in early February. This time we retrieved eight eggs, but only six fertilized. All six were growing and dividing normally and on transfer day, we had three blasts and one early blast. We transferred the three blasts and ended up freezing the early blast the next day (when it had fully expanded into a blast). My Beta was scheduled for 3/7 and I remember B saying "lucky seven."
This time, I knew I was going to test at home. My first test was 4 dp5dt and it was, of course, negative. I was simply testing to make sure the trigger had left my system and, it had. So, from here on out if there were any lines, they wouldn't be false. I tested again the morning of 7dp5dt. I got up early, tested and immediately put the stick down and took our 8 week old puppy outside to go potty. I remember standing there staring at the moon (yes, it was that early), thinking please let it be positive. My heart was pounding as I checked the test and, sure enough, a faint second line. I woke B up, who looked at it and said "please don't get too excited." How could I not? For the time being, I was pregnant. Of course, I was terrified that it would end up like it had the last time so, I was determined to test everyday to make sure the line was getting darker. B told me not to, but I did anyway, and the lines did darken. By the morning of my Beta, the line was a lot darker than the control line. I went into my Beta hopeful that this was the one. My Beta was a resounding 475. I was to continue all meds and return in two days for a repeat Beta. I was thrilled and terrified at the same time.
When I went in for my second Beta, the nurse explained that we were looking for it to double. I remember thinking I wanted 1,000--that would be my sign that everything was OK. Well, not quite 1,000, but 941. But, it didn't double I said. The nurse checked with Dr. Jan who advised that no repeat Betas were necessary, it was a "strong pregnancy" and I "had nothing to worry about until this kid went off to college." We scheduled my first ultrasound for 3/21 and I had no idea how I was going to get through the next two weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment